Information for applicants with foreign certificates
Applicants who, for example, did not obtain their university entrance qualification (Abitur) or bachelor’s degree in Germany must submit their foreign certificates via the portal of the application service uni-assist before the application deadline. There, the certificates are evaluated and formal admission requirements are checked.
Deadline for registration at uni-assist for the summer semester 2024: August 25, 2023 to October 25, 2023.
Your nationality is irrelevant for registration via uni-assist.
Example: You are a German citizen, but have acquired your university entrance qualification in Switzerland. Registration via uni-assist is necessary!
Application to Muthesius Kunsthochschule: Required documents
The next application period for admission to the summer semester 2024 will take place from 01-15 November 2023. The exact procedure can be read here as soon as it is finalized.
The following documents must be uploaded to our online application portal (you can also find them in our Checklist):
- Bachelor: Portfolio with about 20 works
- Master: digital Portfolio with at least 3 projects as well as CV and letter of motivation in one PDF file
Personal application documents for all applicants
- Certificate of university entrance qualification (for applicants with Abitur or Fachgebundener Hochschulreife in art and design)
- Certificate of graduation from the educational institution attended (for applicants without Abitur or Fachgebundener Hochschulreife in art and design)
- CV (Master’s application: The CV is part of the portfolio and must additionally please be uploaded individually in the application portal)
Additionally for bachelor applicants who have already completed a degree program
- Proof of completed university studies or current preliminary overall grade of the diploma or bachelor degree
- Detailed reasons why taking up a second degree* is important to you (*A second degree program is one in which another academic degree is earned at the same level after a completed degree program)
Additionally for master applicants
- Proof of a suitable completed university degree or current preliminary overall grade of the diploma or bachelor’s degree (grade of at least 2.5)
Additionally for international applicants
- Copy of the registration certificate or residence permit (if not yet available: Copy of passport)
- Uni-assist application number
- Proof of sufficient German language skills: C1 (Goethe C1, Telc C1 Hochschule, TestDaF 4×4 or DSH-2)
→If you do not have a language certificate at the time of application, you can submit it later until enrollment.
- Exception B.F.A. Liberal Arts: B1 (Goethe B1, ÖSD B1 or telc B1)
- Exception M.F.A. Liberal Arts: B2 (DSH1, Test-DaF 4×3 or telc B2)
- Applicants from the PR China, Vietnam, India and Mongolia: APS Certificate
Documents for PhD candidates
- Certificate of university degree
- Exposé of dissertation intention with 10 copies
- Formal explanation of exposé
- Written confimation from a professor with authority to supervise doctoral candidates
- CV/Resumé in table form
- List of academic publications, if applicable
- Declaration of whether a doctoral dissertation has been started elsewhere.
From applicants with German certificates
T. 0431 / 5198 – 414
From applicants with non-German certificates
T 0431 – 5198 - 501
Questions about PhD
T 0431 / 5198 – 402
Lecturers with the right to award doctorates
Prof.in Dr. Almut Linde
T 0431 / 5198 – 455
Prof.in Dr. Bettina Möllring
T 0431 / 5198 – 427
Prof.in Dr. Sandra Schramke
T 0431 / 5198 – 469
Prof.in Dr. Christiane Kruse
T 0431 / 5198 – 438
Art, Cultural and Media studies
Prof.in Dr. Petra Maria Meyer
T 0431 / 5198 – 503
Prof. Dr. Norbert M. Schmitz
T 0431 / 5198 – 423