Apply now!

Anyone wishing to study at the Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design from the winter semester 2024/25 can apply from 1 to 15 May. You can apply online. All relevant information on the application process for Bachelor’s and Master’s students can be found here. The link to the digital application portal will also be published here from 1 May.

The only art college in Schleswig-Holstein offers Bachelor students a selection of art and design degree programmes: There are Communication Design, Industrial Design, Scenography / Interior Design, Fine Art and Art Teaching at Grammar Schools. The Master’s degree programmes in Communication Design, Spatial Strategies, Fine Arts, Art Teaching at Grammar Schools and two different Master’s programmes in Industrial Design are also offered: Medical Design and Interface Design. (...)

From 20 to 23 July, the annual exhibition “Einblick / Ausblick” is celebrated

It is a lavish celebration full of art and design: for the annual exhibition Einblick / Ausblick, the Muthesius Academy of Fine Arts opens its doors from Thursday, 20 to Sunday, 23 July. On these days, studios, workshops, lecture halls and workrooms will be transformed into an exhibition of around 10,000 square metres: for four days, visitors can gain an insight into the artistic work of students of free art, art for teaching at grammar schools, communication and industrial design as well as spatial strategies. The motto of this year’s Einblick / Ausblick is networking.

“The Muthesius Academy of Fine Arts is a place of culture and a place of social encounter, (...)

Help for art and design students from Ukraine

Art and design students from Ukraine are welcome at Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design. In order to build a creative bridge, we have enabled a fluent transition for refugee students. We are open to working out individual solutions together which are adapted to the respective situation of Ukrainian students and which allow them to continue their artistic and design work as quickly as possible. This is carried out in direct consultation with the responsible professors. The Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design welcomes the helpfulness, solidarity and participation of its students, teachers and staff.

Shortly after the start of the war in Ukraine, the Presidential Board decided to admit students from Ukraine to the Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design in an unbureaucratic and simplified manner. (...)

Weitere Meldungen

New release: Ephemer.

  With contributions from: Barry Bermange, Gabriele Brandstetter, Danica Darkic, Martina Dobbe, Martin Dornberg, Hinderk M. Emmrich, Daniel Fetzner, Yael Kaduri, Annette Le Fort, Angela (...)

Aktuelle Arbeiten



After passing the aptitude test, applicants receive their notification of admission together with the documents for enrollment by e-mail. The enrollment takes place by mail. The admission notice will state the deadline by which the enrollment documents must be received by the student secretariat.

For enrollment is required:

  • Enrollment application document
  • If applicable: Certificate of university entrance qualification (certified copy)
  • For enrollment in the Master: Bachelor’s/diploma degree certificate (certified copy)
  • Copy of identity card (alternatively passport)
  • Proof of payment of the semester fee
  • Declaration of consent for the use of personal data
  • In addition, you must arrange for digital notification of your insurance status with a statutory health insurance company.

Those who are changing universities or have already completed a university degree also submit:

  • Exmatriculation certificate from the last university

Those who completed their schooling abroad or do not have German citizenship also need:

  • Certified copy of a German school leaving certificate or equivalent certificates. The equivalence will be checked at UNI-ASSIST. Please add certificates in German translation. These must also be certified/authorised copies, which can be obtained from the German Embassy or Consulate representative or sworn interpreters or translators.
  • Proof of sufficient German language skills: C1 (Goethe C1, Telc C1 Hochschule, TestDaF 4×4 or DSH-2).
    • Exception B.F.A. Liberal Arts: B1 (Goethe B1, ÖSD B1 or telc B1)
    • Exception M.F.A. Liberal Arts: B2 (DSH1, Test-DaF 4×3, Goethe B2 or telc B2)
  • Also a certificate for the successful attendance of a Studienkolleg for foreigners as well as other certificates that are considered equivalent will be accepted.
  • The copy of the passport with residence permit (visa)


To confirm enrollment, all students receive a leaflet (Leporello) with student ID, BAföG proof, bus ticket and several study certificates. For the start of the winter semester, the Leporello will probably be sent out in September, for the start of the summer semester in March.
Please do not laminate the bus ticket; in the past, this has led to discussions about validity during inspections.


Janina Schilling
Student Secretariat
T 0431 / 5198 - 487
E, or