FAQ about the application
CAN I STUDY AT MUTHESIUS KUNSTHOCHSCHULE WITHOUT ABITUR?
Applicants without a general university entrance qualification (German: Abitur) can study at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule in the Bachelor’s program if they pass the artistic aptitude test with a grade better than 2.0.
CAN I APPLY FOR MORE THAN ONE DEGREE PROGRAM?
New students sometimes find it difficult to choose a course of study. However, applications for several study programs at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule are not accepted. The choice for a degree program must be made in advance. For this reason, we have introduced a free portfolio consultation for prospective students at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule. These advising appointments take place regularly during the current semester. Based on the work brought to the appointment, the participating professors make recommendations.
CAN I APPLY FOR A HIGHER SEMESTER?
An application to a higher subject semester is possible if you are already studying or have studied in the same or a related degree program.
An application for the winter semester 2023/2024 for a higher subject semester is only possible for odd-numbered subject semesters (3rd, 5th, 7th FS) in the bachelor’s degree programs Scenography / Interior Design, Liberal Arts and Art Teacher Training at Grammar Schools, as the academic year has been introduced.
Applications for higher semesters are not subject to a separate procedure and are also made in the respective application period via the university’s own application portal.
I PASSED THE APTITUDE TEST AT ANOTHER UNIVERSITY – CAN I USE IT TO ENROLL AT MUTHESIUS?
Students who have passed the artistic aptitude test at another art academy can ONLY enroll there. This does not entitle you to a place at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule. Every prospective student (including those who change universities) must apply to us and have their artistic aptitude confirmed by our examiners.
WHAT LANGUAGE SKILLS DO I NEED TO STUDY AT MUTHESIUS?
At the Muthesius Kunsthochschule, courses are held in German. The following proof of German language skills is required for admission:
- Communication Design, Industrial Design, Scenography/Interior Design and Art Teacher Training at grammar schools (Bachelor and Master): C1 (Goethe C1, DSH 2, Test-DaF 4×4 or telc C1 Hochschule)
- Liberal Arts:
- Bachelor: B1 (Goethe B1, ÖSD B1 or telc B1)
- Master: B2 (DSH1, Test-DaF 4×3 or telc B2)
DOES THE PORTFOLIO HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIFIC TOPIC?
Applicants for a Bachelor’s degree are free to choose the subject of their work. If you are unsure which of your artistic works should be included in your portfolio, you should attend one of our portfolio consultation appointments. They are offered free of charge by professors of our art academy for prospective students.
WHAT MATERIAL SHOULD MY PORTFOLIO HAVE?
A self-made folder should be particularly well made so that the work samples in it survive transport well. Since it also passes through various stations within our university, it must be as light and handy as possible. High-quality folders do not make up for poor quality of work samples. Even supposed upgrades of portfolios through sticking must be well considered.
The specialized trade offers a manageable number of drawing portfolios. We recommend a neutral portfolio from the medium-priced segment. Folders are often soiled or damaged after the first application and should then be replaced with a new one.
WHAT SIZE IS SPECIFIED FOR THE PORTFOLIO?
- B.A. Communication Design, B.A. Scenography/Interior Design, B.A. Industrial Design: Outer dimensions 62.0 x 86.0 cm.
- B.F.A. Liberal Arts, B.A. Art Teacher Training at grammar schools: External dimensions 84.0 x 118.0 cm, maximum thickness 15 cm.
Larger folders cannot be accepted!
HOW DO PORTFOLIO CONSULTATIONS CURRENTLY TAKE PLACE?
Professors at our university regularly conduct free portfolio consultations. The portfolio does not have to be complete at the time of the consultation. We recommend seeking advice as early as possible, ideally in the year prior to application. Information on scheduled consultations can be found here.
FAQ about the artistic aptitude test
HOW DOES THE APTITUDE TEST PROCEED?
If you have passed the portfolio, you will be invited to the practical part of the artistic aptitude test.
The final grade for the artistic aptitude test in the bachelor’s application is made up of three parts: the grade for the portfolio, the grade for solving the tasks from the practical test, and the grade for the interview in the colloquium.
In the master’s application, a master’s interview takes place after the portfolio has been passed.
WHAT MATERIALS DO I NEED FOR THE APTITUDE TEST? (Bachelor)
All working materials that will be necessary for the tasks will be listed in the invitation.
HOW DO I FIND ACCOMMODATION FOR THE EXAM DAYS?
The Bachelor aptitude test takes place on two to three consecutive days at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule. The AStA will be happy to help you find accommodation. Please contact email@example.com.
HOW DO I GET MY PORTFOLIO BACK? (Bachelor)
- Applicants to the Communication Design, Industrial Design and Scenography / Interior Design programs do not have to bring their original portfolio to the university until the practical part of the artistic aplitude test. You can take the portfolio back with you after the exams.
- Applicants to the Liberal Arts and Art Teacher Training at grammar schools programs must submit their original portfolio during the application period (May 01-15, 2023). The following applies here:
- If you take part in the practical part of the qualifying examination, your portfolio will be returned to you at the end of the examination.
- Applicants who do not pass the portfolio and therefore do not participate in the practical part of the aptitude test can pick up their portfolio at the Muthesius Kunsthochschule by appointment or have it picked up by an authorized person. You will receive further information on this with your rejection letter.
- In exceptional cases, we can return your folder by mail. To do this, you must book a prepaid pickup with a parcel service. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for this.
- Note: Folders that are not picked up within a time period specified in the rejection notice must be disposed of.
I FAILED THE APTITUDE TEST – CAN I RETAKE THE TEST?
If you have not passed the portfolio or the practical part of the artistic aptitude test, you may repeat the aptitude test once (at the earliest in the next possible application period. Attention: in the study programs B.A. Scenography, B.F.A. Liberal Arts and B.A. Art Teacher Training at grammar schools the application is only possible for the winter semester).
T 0431 / 5198 – 487